The spelling can be Kearton, Kirton etc.
Richard was born about 1768 (age at death) and a son of Richard Kerton and Sarah formerly Iddeson, as he is sometimes described as ‘junior’ in the registers of Kirkby Malzeard. His baptism is not in the register however. In later life Richard jnr was a carpenter as was his probable father, Richard snr, who was a wheelwright and, later, a carpenter.
Richard married Sarah Branfoot 22 October 1794 at Kirby Malzeard, after banns. He was ‘junior’ and a carpenter and Sarah was a spinster. They were both of the parish. The witnesses were John Branfoot, Isabella Gill and William Buck.
Sarah’s baptism is not in the register of Kirkby Malzeard. However, there are baptisms of children of John Branfoot, who may have been Sarah’s father, and of Christopher Branfoot.
Sarah, of Kirkby, was apparently buried 12 February 1832 aged 67 at Kirkby Malzeard.
Richard married secondly Elizabeth Shaw 5 July 1834 at Kirkby Malzeard, after banns. He was a widower and she was a widow and they were both of the parish.
In the 1841 census at Kirkby Malzeard, Richard Kearton was aged 70-74 and Elizabeth was aged 55-59 and with them were John Shaw aged 13 and Richard Kearton aged 1 (their grandson, son of George and Ann Kerton). Richard was probably with them because George was a widower at this time. All were born in Yorks. Except Elizabeth.
Elizabeth, of Kirkby, was probably buried 29 June 1844 aged 60, at Kirkby Malzeard. It is unlikely that there were children of this marriage.
Richard, of Kirkby, was buried 5 May 1850 aged 82, at Kirkby Malzeard.
Richard and Sarah’s children were:
1. Peter (1795 – 1817), baptised 4 October 1795 at Kirkby Malzeard (son of Richard junior, Kirkby) and buried there aged 21, 26 March 1817..
2. Isabella, baptised 2 June 1797 at Kirkby Malzeard (daughter of Richard, Kirkby).
3. Sarah, baptised 15 December 1799 at Kirkby Malzeard (daughter of Richard, Kirkby).
4. John, baptised 26 September 1802 at Kirkby Malzeard (son of Richard junior, Kirkby).
5. George, baptised 21 December 1806 at Kirkby Malzeard (son of Richard, Kirkby).
Posted February 2017