Stephen was born about 1740 (from age at death). There are (at least) two possible baptisms: at Waldershare 1739 and Coldred 1740. The other will be the husband of Elizabeth Lambert, a first cousin of Mary Howis (Stephen’s wife).
He was a yeoman, of Whitfield.
Mary was mentioned in the 1800 will of her aunt Eleanor Frisby (formerly Howis).
Mary was mentioned in the 1807 will of her brother, Edward Howis.
Stephen died 2 January 1823 aged 82 and was buried at Whitfield.
His will was dated 30 October 1813. In it he left his real and personal estate to his wife for her life and then to his son Stephen. He allowed his wife and daughters, Eleanor and Elizabeth, who were unmarried in 1813, to remain living in his house, and left his daughters £100 each when they moved out provided they were aged 21 or over. He left £50 each to his son Samuel and sons in law William Wyborn, gardener of Northbourne, and Thomas Wyborn, shoemaker of Ramsgate, to be paid within 3 months of his wife's death. The residue was to be divided equally between Stephen, Eleanor and Elizabeth. He appointed his sons Stephen and Samuel to be his executors.
Stephen's will was proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (PCC) 17 February 1823.
NOTE: There is a will, probated 31 July 1818, in the PCC for a Stephen Castle of (Ashley in the parish of) Northbourne, yeoman. This is the husband of Elizabeth Lambert. Elizabeth Lambert and Mary formerly Howis, were first cousins. The ‘Ashley’ Stephen Castle was also born about 1740.
Mary died 20 November 1826 aged 73 and was buried at Whitfield.
To the east of the church at Whitfield there was a headstone, noted by Bax and Rice, 12 May 1892, which was inscribed:
"In memory of William HOWIS-CASTLE late of Piccadilly, London son of Stephen and Mary Castle of this parish who departed this life the 20th day of August 1812 aged 33 years. Also of Robert Castle his brother who departed this life the 1st day of September 1800 aged 13 years. Also the above Stephen Castle who departed this life the 2nd day of January 1823 aged 82 years. Also Mary his wife who departed this life the 20th day of November 1826 aged 73 years". We visited St Peter's, Whitfield, 26 August 2007, but the headstone could not be found in the small churchyard.
Stephen and Mary's children were
1. Ann, baptised 20 September 1772 at Whitfield. She married William Wyborn of Northbourne, at Whitfield, by licence, 2 October 1793. The witnesses were Thomas Wyborn and Alice Meadows. She was buried 8 February 1810 at Northbourne. See Thomas Wyborn (1731/2 - 1774) Yeoman.
2. Mary, baptised 26 February 1775 at Whitfield.
4. William Howis, baptised 18 June 1780 at Whitfield.
5. Samuel, baptised 11 April 1784 at Whitfield.
6. Robert, baptised 30 September 1787 at Whitfield. He died 1 September 1800 aged 13 years and was buried at Whitfield.
7. Eleanor, baptised as Hellen 29 April 1792 at Whitfield.
8. Elizabeth, baptised 30 March 1794 at Whitfield.
Revised 10 February 2014