The Family of Simon
He was baptised 24 March 1799 at Dent, a son of Thomas
Thwaite and Ann.
He married Betty Sanderson 27 May 1830 at Sedburgh.
She (as Betty Huck Sanderson) was born 9 April 1809 (at Casterton)
and baptised 1809 at Kirkby Lonsdale.
In a directory of 1829 a Simon Thwaite is a yeoman at Ravenstonedale.
In 1841, at Newbegin, Ravenstonedale,
Simon Thwaite was aged 40 and a farmer, not born in
the county. With him was Betty, aged 30, Ann aged 7, Thomas, aged 5, Richard
aged 3 and Ellen aged 2 and all were born in the county. With the family was
Ann Thwaite [mother?] aged 65 and not born in the
In 1851, at Newbeggin, Simon Thwaite
was aged 52, a farmer of 70 acres and born at Dent, Yorks. His wife, Betty H.
was aged 41 and born at Casterton. Their children,
all born at Ravenstonedale were Thomas, aged 15,
Ellen aged 11, James aged 10, Margaret aged 8, John aged 5, Mary aged 4, Simon
aged 1 and Elizabeth aged 3 months.
There is no death of Simon
registered in the East Ward district after 1851, but there is a possibility in
Simon and Betty's children were:
- Thomas, baptised 24 April 1831
at Ravenstonedale (Thwaites,
Betty). He was buried 6 March 1833.
- Ann, baptised 31 March 1834 at Ravenstonedale
- Thomas, baptised 7 February
1836 at Ravenstonedale (Thwaites,
Elizabeth). It is probable
that Sarah Ann Kerton married Thomas Thwaites
4 March 1858 at St Peter’s Church Leeds after banns. Sarah Ann was aged 21 (ie full age) and a spinster of Gower Street, a
daughter of John Kerton, a carrier. Thomas Thwaites
was also aged 21 (ie full age), a bachelor and
cow keeper of Richmond Road, a son of Simon Thwaites,
a cow keeper. The witnesses
were George Wray and Julia Thomas. Thomas’s death was registered in
the June quarter 1859 in the Leeds Southeast sub-district.
- Richard, baptised 22 September 1837 at Ravenstonedale (Thwaites,
- Ellen, baptised 23 June 1839 at Ravenstonedale
- James, baptised 4 April 1841 at Ravenstonedale
- Margaret, baptised 14 April 1843 at Ravenstonedale
- John Sanderson, baptised 15 April 1845 at Ravenstonedale (Thwaites,
- Mary, baptised 23 February 1847 at Ravenstonedale
- Simon, baptised 4 July 1849 at Ravenstonedale
- Elizabeth, baptised 6 January 1851 at Ravenstonedale (Thwaite,
Posted February 2017