The surviving registers of Kirkby Malzeard begin in 1653.
Iddison is variously spelt in the register of Kirkby Malzeard e.g. Iddyson, Iddeson etc with the greatest number of entries as Iddison. In the earlier entries it also seems to appear as Edison etc.
Azerley is a settlement just over 1.5 miles to the east of Kirkby Malzeard.
John might have been born around 1660. Those who could have been his father include a John, buried 1657, whose son John was buried 1655, and a Richard Edison of Thonye Close, Azerley, who married Anne Smith in 1654 and whose daughter Marie was born 1658.
John Idyson of Azzerley married Elizabeth Auton of Fearly in the parish of Masham, 12 July 1691 at Kirky Malzeard.
There are two possible burials at Kirkby Malzeard: John Iddeson of Azerley 30 October 1708 and, less likely (see below), 30 October 1721.
There is a burial of Elizabeth Iddeson, widow of Azerley, 25 February 1742 at Kirkby Malzeard.
John’s children were:
1. Ann, baptised 22 May 1692 at Kirkby Malzeard (daughter of John Idyson, of Azzerley) and buried 27 May 1694 at Kirkby Malzeard (daughter of John Iddyson of Azzerley).
2. John, baptised 13 May 1694 at Kirkby Malzeard (twin, son of John Iddyson, of Azzerley). There are two possible burials at Kirkby Malzeard: John Iddeson of Azerley 30 October 1708 and, more likely, 30 October 1721. In 1708 he would perhaps have been described as ‘son of John’ – see Elizabeth below.
3. Elizabeth, baptised 13 May 1694 at Kirkby Malzeard (twin, daughter of John Iddyson, of Azzerley) and was buried 26 March 1713 (daughter of John Iddeson, of .....ley - not legible).
4. Ann, baptised 20 January 1697 at Kirkby Malzeard (daughter of John Iddyson, of Azerley).
5. Richard, baptised 22 October 1699 at Kirkby Malzeard (son of John Iddyson, of Azzerley).
6. Thomas, baptised 23 August 1702 at Kirkby Malzeard (son of John Eddison, of Azerley).
Posted February 2017