Stephen Mogg was born 11 January 1849 at Hurstpierpoint, a son of Thomas Wyborn, a chymist (sic) and Eliza formerly Mitten.
In the 1851 census of High Street, Eton, (next but one to the Turks Head Inn), in his parents home, Stephen aged 2 and born at Hurstpierpoint.
In the 1861 census of 100 High Street, Eton, in his mother's home, he was aged 12 and born at Hurstpierpoint.
In the census of 1871, at 25 Adelaide Square, New Windsor, living with his mother and brother Edward, Stephen was unmarried, aged 22, an architect's assistant and born in Hurstpierpoint.
In the 1881 census of Sussex Chambers, St Albans Street, New Windsor, Stephen M Wyborn was the head and unmarried, aged 32, a printer artist architecture and born at Brighton, Sussex, with Eliza Spencer, his mother, married, aged 50, a chemist's wife, born at Brighton, Sussex and brother Samuel Wyborn aged 30 a medical student, born at Eton.
In 1875-6. the church of St Saviour, River Street, Windsor, was built from the designs of Stephen Wyborn. It serves as a chapel of ease to Holy Trinity.
In the 1891 census of 1 Thanet Villas, Alma Road, Clewer, New Windsor, he was living with his mother, unmarried, aged 42, an architect and born at Brighton, Sussex.
He married Mary Edwards in the Windsor district in the March quarter 1895.
In the 1901 census of Thaneleigh, Alma Road, Clewer, New Windsor, Stephen was aged 52, an architect and surveyor (employer), born at Hurstpierpoint, Sussex. His wife, Mary, was aged 37 and born at Highgate, Middx. Their son, Vyvian S. D. D. was aged 4 and born at Windsor.
He was known as St Stephen. He used to go up ladders when workmen had gone to check that materials were exactly to his specification.
In 1925 he was of Thaneleigh, Alma Road, Windsor and had had a severe operation some months previously.
He died in 1927, aged 78. His will was dated 19 April 1910. He was described as an architect of 63 Alma Road, Windsor. He appointed his wife, Mary, his executrix and trustee. He left his jewellery and watch to his son Vyvian and the residue to his wife, Mary. The witnesses were Frederick G. H. Jenkins and Walter Edwards, both of Alma Road. Probate was granted on 3 November 1927.
Mary Wyborn died 9 January 1934, aged 69, at 63 Alma Road. Her will was dated 2 October 1933. She appointed her son, Vyvian of Darjeeling Brae(?) India, and her husband's nephew, John Bertie Weaver, 59 High Street, Bedford, as her executors. She left £50 each to her brothers Thomas Harold Edwards, Cecil Edwards, Martin Dennis Edwards, her two sisters Amy Shine (Shire?) and Jane Hardy, her niece Winifred Jeffrey and John Bertie Weaver. She gave one ring each to Lily Stevenson, Clarice Cross and Pamela Cross and a carved table each to Mrs Collins and Mrs Longley. Her silver plated hot water jug and a tea set was left to Muriel Judd. Her house and everything else was left to her son Vyvian and whatever was connected with architecture that he did not want was to be given to John Bertie Weaver and Francis Collins.
Stephen and Mary's only child was Vyvian Stephen Delamotte Dean. From the WW1 Campaign Medals Index, he served in the Royal Army Medical Corps as lieutenant and then captain. He qualified around the time of World War 1. His professional life was mostly spent overseas as a physician in places such as Singapore and Malaysia where he held senior office in his profession. On his return to Britain he worked as a locum in places that included Balmoral and Bedford. He was separated from his wife and latterly shared a house with a lady who gave piano lessons. He died on 15 December 1992 at a nursing home in Folkestone, aged 96. In 1923 (Kellys Directory) he was MRCS Eng. LBCP London, a physician and surgeon of 8 Hamlet Road, Upper Norwood.
Posted 18 January 2007