The Family of Ann Goldsmith formerly Wyborn
She was born 2 May 1801 and baptised 24 May 1801 at Ramsgate Chapel, a daughter of Thomas Wyborn and Mary formerly Castle.
In 1824 she was running a toyshop with her sister Mary at her father's home, 7 Harbour Street, Ramsgate.
She (aged 27 and of Ramsgate) married Ebenezer Goldsmith of Ramsgate aged 25 by licence (dated 18 October 1828) on 21 October 1828 at St George, Ramsgate. The witnesses were Thomas Wyborn and Lydia Goldsmith.
In 1841, living with Thomas Wyborn in Harbour Road, Ramsgate, were Thomas Goldsmith aged 12, William Goldsmith aged 10 and Arthur Goldsmith aged 8. These were probably the children of Ann and Ebenezer Goldmith.
She was a widow by November 1845.
In 1861 she may have been living at -?- Cottage, River, Dover, a lodger, aged 60 and born at Ramsgate. Her 'condition' was unclear.
Ann and Ebenezer's children were:
- Thomas, born 10 January1829 and baptised 18 February 1829 at Zion Independent Chapel, Hadres Street, Ramsgate.
In 1861 he was living at 13 West Street, Bethnal Green. He was aged 32, a carpenter, born at Ramsgate. His wife was Martha H. aged 31 and born at Barnett, Herts. Their children were Thomas aged 3 and Martha L. aged 9 months, both born in Bethnal Green. There was also a domestic servant.
In 1881 he was living at 13 West Street, London Middx. He was aged 52, a carpenter, born at Ramsgate. His wife, M.H. was aged 52 and born at Barnet, Herts. Their unmarried children were Thomas aged 23, a book binder, W.F. aged 16, a carpenter, Mar. aged 16, a fancy goods worker, George aged 14 a printer, L. aged 11 and Leuesa (i.e. Louisa) aged 8. All were born in London Middx.
Thomas and Martha's children were:
- Thomas, registered in the December quarter 1857 in the Bethnal Green district.
- Martha Louisa, registered June quarter 1860 in the Bethnal Green district.
- William Frederick, registered in the September quarter 1864 in the Bethnal Green district.
- Mar.(Maria?), born about 1864 (twins?) in London Middx. and probably registered in the September quarter 1864 in the Bethnal Green district.
- George, registered in the September quarter 1866 in the Bethnal Green district.
- L.(?), born about 1869 in London Middx.
- Louisa, registered in the March quarter 1873 in the Bethnal Green district.
- William, born about 1830/1. He did not appear to be in the 1881 census.
- Arthur, born about 1832/3.
In the 1861 census he (as Arthur E.) may have been living at 3 Victoria Terrace, Bethnal Green, near to Thomas. He was aged 26, a cabinet maker and born at Ramsgate. His wife, Harriet, was aged 27 and born at Lyminge, Kent. With them was a nurse. He did not appear to be in the 1881 census.
Posted 18 January 2007