In 1881, at home with his parents, he was aged 8 and born in London.
In 1891, at home with his parents, he was aged 18, an assistant horse commission agent, employed and born in St Pancras.
In the 1901 census of Well Hill, Shoreham, George was aged 28, a mechanical engineer, born Holborn, London and May, his wife (sic), was aged 29 and born at Colchester. With them was a servant, Kate Marchant aged 15, a general domestic servant, born at Chelsfield, Kent. The census was taken 31 March 1901, so it appears that they were living together at Well Hill, just before the marriage took place, as it was registered in the June quarter.
He married May Leslie (in other official documents she becomes Mary, and she referred to herself in certain letters as Mary) in the June quarter of 1901 (1b 1221) in the district of Holborn, London (cross-referenced to both parties). May was born 19 March, c. 1872 at Colchester, according to the 1901 census entry. At some point George separated from May and had a number of affairs.
He was admitted to the Freedom of the Butchers Company by patrimony on 6 February 1908, of Coldharbour, Swanley Village, Kent.
In 1911 he was living with his parents, aged 38 and born in St Pancras. He was an employer and a grocers engineer. He had been married for 12 years. Mary Banks has not yet been found in the 1911 census.
At one time he lived at Court Farm, Epsom (Sept 1918 and May 1920).
In 1933 he was living at 'Bogeysden', Grove Avenue, Epsom. A floral tribute to Frederick Seymour who died in 1932 was from 'Bogey'.)
In 1937 (date of will) he was living at 169 Brighton Road, Worthing and he died there in 1940 (registered in the June quarter 1940 in the Worthing district, aged 67). 169 Brighton Road is a sea front property on the west corner with Windsor Road.
In 1939 (register), at 169 Brighton Road, Worthing, George Banks (date of birth 3 July 1872) was living with Helen W. Banks (date of birth 8 July 1901) and 4 others whose records are closed. They were both married and George was General Director (General Engineering?).
George ran the business bought by Frederick Seymour Banks, Savage and Co, a general engineering company, which also made machinery for tea manufactures such as Ridgeways. The registered office was 28 Love Lane, Eastcheap, London (telephone Royal 6385 and cables “Savagism London”), opposite “Ingarfield 8” (John Ingarfield, Fish Salesman, 8 Love Lane) and the Lenyon works were at Danbury Street, Islington. There were also works, at one time, at Snow’s Fields, Bermondsey. Love Lane appears to have been redeveloped and now consists of uniform office blocks. In 1929 Savage and Co. was a listed exhibitor at the British Industries Fair. They were manufacturers of tea mixing and cutting machinery, coffee roasting, cooling and grinding plant, pea nut roasters, fruit cleaners etc and tobacco sifters (stands no L58 and L68). On 23 July 1935 he took out a patent (GB 432224) for improvements to the discs in tea cutting machinery. Savage and Co. exported to New Zealand and the Colonies and could be descended from the firm of A. Savage, 43 East Cheap, manufacturer of milling machines for coffee, chocolate, wheat, oats etc and roasters, who exhibited at the Great Exhibition in 1851. An undated photograph of a trade stand proclaims that Savage and Co. had been established for 116 years.
George died of a brain tumour 15 April 1940 aged 68 and was buried in Highgate cemetery in the grave of his parents. He also owned grave 44121 transferred from J. W. Banks 11 February 1933.
His will was dated 20 August 1937 and witnessed by two clerks to his solicitors. He was described as of 169 Brighton Road, Worthing, a director of Messrs Savage and Co (Tea Machinery and General Engineers) Ltd, 28 Love Lane Eastcheap London. He appointed George Willie Spencer of 10 Bush Lane London EC4, accountant, and Lancelot Edey Hall, solicitor, to be his executors and trustees. He left the following legacies: £150 to George Willie Spencer and Lancelot Edey Hall, £200 to his wife Mary Banks, to his gardener Bowles £25, to F.J. Gemmell £50, to his typist Mollie Porter £50, to Helen Watson, sometimes called Helen Watson Banks, £200. He bequeathed the following annuities: to his wife Mary Banks £250, to his housekeeper, Mabel Emma Chamberlain £200, to his daughter £500 until she marry. He left £5,000 to his trustees to invest and pay the income to his daughter for life and then to the Royal Masonic Hospital. He left the freehold of 6 Hazon Way, Epsom, to Dorothy Housego, the wife of Lewis Bernard Housego. He left the freehold house in the Royal Esplanade, Margate to his trustees to be sold or not on condition that Mary Banks be allowed to remain living there, or in any other house they might purchase with the proceeds and on her death to become part of his residuary estate. His freehold house, 169 Brighton Road, Worthing similarly for the use of Helen Watson, during her life or until she married. His residuary estate was left to his daughter or to the Royal Masonic Hospital if she failed to keep to the terms of the will. Probate of his will was granted 6 August 1940 to George Willie Spencer incorporated accountant and Lancelot Edey Hall, solicitor. George was of 169 Brighton Road Worthing and his effects were £55,877.16s.7d, resworn £55,407.2s.10d.
George's wife, May, lived at Birchington and then Westgate (Royal Esplanade is likely to have been between Westgate and Margate) and died on 18 March 1964, at Grove House Nursing Home, Garlinge, Margate, Kent. She (as Mary) was the widow of George Banks, a manufacturing engineer. She was living at 72 Royal Esplanade, Margate and was aged 90. She died of broncho-pneumonia and influenza. The informant was her sister-in-law, J.G. Banks, of Tancred, Sevenoaks Road, Pratts Bottom, Kent. Her funeral was on Grand National day.
The will of Mary Banks (commonly known as May Banks) was dated 30 May 1956. She was of 'Whinbrae, 72 Royal Esplanade, Margate, widow. She appointed the Westminster Bank and her sister-in-law, Gertrude Banks of Tancred to be her trustees and executors. Legacies were to her nephew (£100 and the silver tea service) and to George Watson (a Sheffield plate entree dish), Gertrude Banks (£50), her nephew’s wife (£25) and friend Isabella Barratt (£25). The residue was left to her god-daughter or if she died then half to Lord Mayor Treloar's College at Froyle, near Alton and half to brother-in-law Arthur Banks and his wife Gertrude Banks.
The distribution account showed that Isabella Jane Barrat predeceased Mary Banks. She left £1,640.17.0d.
From the 1939 register it is known that Helen W. Banks was born in 1901. This Helen Banks left a will. She was of 135 Gallants Farm Road, East Barnet, Herts and was a spinster. She died 19 October 1959 at The General Hospital, Barnet. Probate was granted 12 January 1960 to her daughter, a married woman, and her effects were £180. 13s. 5d.
George and May had no children.
George had one daughter, by Helen Watson:
Posted March 2017